It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:13 am

New Empire Theatres - Torbay Road 
Post New Empire Theatres - Torbay Road
first time i heard of it, thought some would be interested.
Not sure where Field Power Center is going to tho
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/911421/empire-theatres-to-build-new-state-of-the-art-theatre-complex-in-st-john-s-nl

Quote:
HALIFAX, Jan. 26, 2012 /CNW/ - Empire Theatres, Canada's 2nd largest movie exhibition company announced today that it will open a new 8-screen theatre complex in St. John's, Newfoundland.

Construction on the land will begin in 2012 with the theatre complex opening in 2013. The new Empire Theatre will be located in Field Power Centre on Torbay Road, another project led by KNK Capital Group of Canada.

"We're extremely pleased to be able to bring a third facility to the St. John's area that will complement our Theatres located in the Avalon Mall and Mount Pearl. We enjoy a strong base of loyal and committed moviegoers in St. John's and are thrilled to announce this exciting new Theatre project on our land," says Dean Leland, Vice President of Media and Studio Relations.

The new Empire Theatre will blend entertainment with technology in a contemporary and unique design. All eight auditoriums will feature curved screens for that perfect picture; Dolby Digital Surround Sound for optimum sound; stadium-style seating for unobstructed viewing; and comfortable, wide, rocker-style seats with lots of leg room. Each auditorium will have 100% integrated DLP Digital Cinema Projection providing crystal clear images, as well as RealD 3D capability.

The theatre will also include an expansive main lobby, a lounge area with leather seating, automated box offices, an expanded refreshments area and rooms that will be used for community and corporate use.

In addition, the new Theatre will feature Empire Theatres' very own "Empire Extra" in one auditorium. Empire Extra provides guests with a heightened sensory experience in a special auditorium designed to offer dynamic sound, screen and seat quality. Empire Extra boasts a custom-designed multi-channel sound system for the ultimate audio experience; stunning digital presentation on a massive, wrap-around screen, and comfy, high back rockers. Along with the heightened sensory experience, Empire Extra offers St. John's moviegoers a new level of convenience; the ability to reserve their seats.

"We are excited to welcome Empire Theatres to Field Power Centre. Their state-of-the-art theatre complex will only enhance the Centre's positioning in the St. John's market," says Kevin King, President of KMK Capital Inc. "Leading tenants such as Empire Theatres contribute favorably to the tenant mix and will aid in our efforts to attract additional quality retailers to Field Power Centre."

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Post Re: New Empire Theatres - Torbay Road
I think Field Power Center is the next phase of development next to Stavanger Drive behind the new RONA store on Torbay Road.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:50 pm

I thought it was the large 'farm land' across the road from Stevanger? There is a "light industrial/ retail" centre going there. I figured it was going to be part fo that. I'm probably wrong though.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:12 pm

The property where the farm had been was supposed to have been sold. I don't know if it fell through because they put up new real estate signs on it. "Rumor" was that Canadian Tire was going to build a 'Super Store' on that site. It will probably be named a Historic Site because they filmed an episode of 'Doyle' there. Who knows. With all the development around Stavanger they are going to have to build a Ring Road around or it will take forever to get out of the East End. Traffic in rush hours is totally nuts down there.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Looks like White Rose Drive will be extend across Torbay Rd.

http://www.comproperty.ca/powercentre/f ... e-Plan.pdf

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Looks like you were right Sean. When all that is developed you'll need more than good luck getting home to Pouch Cove on Friday afternoon!

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:43 pm

SOaB....it really is bad enough going from majors path to pouch cove at 5. Hell that new road does NOTHING for saving time. I usually go the old way just cause there are less cops monitoring it and people dont take the speed limit so seriously on it. Going 60 on that new bypass road is just painfull and i've YET to go over that road and NOT see a cop.

That farm land is a fair size. I hope more than just a theatre goes there. I hope they bring somethign in here which isnt here already...aka...canadian tire........

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:46 am
Site Moderator

mrbuffalo wrote:
The property where the farm had been was supposed to have been sold. I don't know if it fell through because they put up new real estate signs on it. "Rumor" was that Canadian Tire was going to build a 'Super Store' on that site. It will probably be named a Historic Site because they filmed an episode of 'Doyle' there. Who knows. With all the development around Stavanger they are going to have to build a Ring Road around or it will take forever to get out of the East End. Traffic in rush hours is totally nuts down there.

I heard a little while ago that the Wal-Mart on Stavanger is going to get sold to Canadian Tire who is moving a store there and Wal-Mart is building a bigger store with more food products, and possibly a Sam's Club or that kind of thing back around Rona/White Rose Drive......either way I see bottlenecking there as more and more retail spaces are available with little done to deal with traffic except add more traffic lights.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:15 pm

White Rose Drive is intended to extend south from the field Power Centre (empire theatres) development area and connect with Majors Path, the developer haas explicitly stated that in the media. There is also another road that will extend north from White Rose Drive (West of Torbay Road) to the north, perhaps that will tie into RCAF Road ( its future connection is not noted on the plan referenced above).

Likewise Aberdeen Avenue will extend north beyond Rona and loop back out to Torbay road.

The road extensions are part of the continued private sector commercial development of the stavanger drive, harvey estates, and field power centre commercial developments and will only happen as the commercial developments expands.

Having said that the propsoed road network is designed to accomodate internal traffic in the retail area likle will do nothing to alleviate the bottleneck on torbay road, maybe just move the bottleneck further north.

The current focus of the Torbay and Flatrock (and to a lesser degree Pouch Cove) councils, is to allow development of as much land as possible within thier jurisdiction without an apparant view to the implications of traffic and inefficeint service delivery will ulitmately be their own undoing. Residential development withouut any meaningful economic (commercial, industrial, etc) development to drive it locally, is in effect a ponzi scheme; development $ are addictive to small municipalities it is not sustainable in the long term to essentially hedge the future of the municipality on continued residential growth. So for those that live north of RCAF Road, don't exepect it to get better, it'll just get worse.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:38 pm

" The current focus of the Torbay and Flatrock (and to a lesser degree Pouch Cove) councils, is to allow development of as much land as possible within thier jurisdiction "

Not sure what that has to do with the above mentioned developments, as they are all in the city of sin johns

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:56 pm

read sean2010's post. i was adding to his comments.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:48 pm

I suppose. But the mayor of Torbay was on cbc a few months ago saying that there is soon going to be a moratorium on land development in that town due to water needs not being met. As it is, you cannot build on land that is servicednow.....new subdivisions are well and septic. The city of sinjohns won't give them any water, and they are almost maxed out on their existing supply. Just sayin, as that doesn't sound to me like they are allowing any or all land development in the town...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... r-705.html

Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Sean2010 wrote:
SOaB....it really is bad enough going from majors path to pouch cove at 5. Hell that new road does NOTHING for saving time. I usually go the old way just cause there are less cops monitoring it and people dont take the speed limit so seriously on it. Going 60 on that new bypass road is just painfull and i've YET to go over that road and NOT see a cop.

That farm land is a fair size. I hope more than just a theatre goes there. I hope they bring somethign in here which isnt here already...aka...canadian tire........

Isnt here already......as in an Olive Garden or a Jack Astors. Love both of those places. Not quite sure what i would like to see in the line of stores tho........

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 am

I wish they bring in a Harvey's burger joint. A Moxey's here wouldn't go astray either :)

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:10 am

how bout a taco bell

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:20 am